Here I am for my lunch break post! Let me start by sharing that on my way to work this morning, I was flipping through the radio stations, and “I Want It That Way” by Backstreet Boys was on. I couldn’t help myself. I blared up the music and of course sang along! Definitely brought me back to my preteen days. Oh boy.
Ok, so onto what my post is really about… I want to ask how many of you have some sort of “desk job”? Most of you would probably respond with a “yes”. Most of our careers these days are so technologically based that we spend most of our days staring at a computer screen and sitting at a desk. I never thought I would have a desk job in my life since I have major issues with sitting still. Even though I don’t consider my current job to be fully a desk job, a lot of my work days do consist of sitting at a desk catching up on emails, making phone calls, etc. It started to make me wonder how many hours I just sit there burning off hardly any energy. I decided to come up with some ways to make sure I don’t just sit there all day without hardly moving. It’s hard for me to sit still for long periods of time anyways, but I wanted to think of some creative ideas to allow myself not to feel quite so antsy at work. Some ideas for you to try:
- While on phone calls, stand up or walk around your office/cubicle.
- Every hour shut your office door and do some jumping jacks to get your heart rate up.
- Rather than instant messaging or calling a co-worker in their office down the hall, get your heiney up and walk to their office to talk to them.
- Have a cup/water bottle of water at your desk and drink it (a lot of it). This will cause you to have to walk to the bathroom more frequently and get up to refill your water cup/bottle more often.
- Buy a stability ball chair to sit on. It causes you to use more core muscles and helps you to sit up better.
- On your lunch break, walk around your office building or coordinate with some co-workers to do a fitness video together (depending on availability of space, conveniencies, etc.).
- Do your work out before work or on your lunch break to use up some energy before you sit all day long. It will make you feel less restless and you’ll burn more calories while you’re sitting!
Now obviously some of these ideas can’t or won’t work for you because of various reasons, but I’m sure you can at least take one of them with you to use. So get up and move…at least a little! 🙂
- Do you have any “guilty song pleasures” (i.e. Mine being Backstreet Boys 😉 )
- What are some of your ideas to burn off some energy while sitting at your desk?
- Do you get “antsy” if you sit for too long?