So let me just start by letting you in on a little tip: If you want to win some extra points with your hubby, offer to mow the lawn for him. It works, for real! I told Cody I would mow the lawn for him this morning, and he was a little surprised I think, but also impressed. Not only was I trying to do something nice for him, but I also thought it’d be a good activity to burn off some of the “extras” I indulged in yesterday. It’s been nice weather lately, so I got my butt outside after my workout this morning to get it done. The lawn looks pretty good if I do say so myself! By the way, if you’re looking for a good strenth endurance DVD workout, try out Jillian Michael’s “No More Trouble Zones”. Holy burning muscles!
I want to talk about how your daily activities can impact your health, your goals, and your energy. When I worked as a personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness, some of my clients would complain to me that they aren’t able to lose any weight past a certain point. They explained that they’re eating properly and getting their daily workouts in, but their weight loss had plateaued and they didn’t understand why. I would always ask them to walk me through their day. A lot of the times, they figured if they got in their “daily workout” at the gym, they were free to lounge for the rest of the day.
Definitely not! Your daily activities make a bigger impact on your daily calorie expenditure than you may realize. For example, I burned a lot more calories by mowing the lawn than if I were to have plopped on the couch to watch a television show. Of course enjoy some rest time and down time each day, but make sure you break it up with some activities that make you get up and move. Here’s some ideas that can get you moving throughout the day:
- Clean the house. Vacuuming, scrubbing, etc. can burn some awesome calories!
- Run errands. Walking around the mall and other stores gets you moving.
- Go for a walk with your family. Quality family time + extra exercise = perfect!
- As already mentioned, offer to mow the lawn for your hubby. (Extra points for YOU! 🙂 )
- Do other yardwork such as gardening, pulling weeds, sweeping the porch, etc.
- Dance! Pump up the music and have a dance party with your family or friends or even by yourself…they’re fun!
- Instead of watching your kids play outside, play with them! Who said adults can’t have fun??
- Go on a bike ride around the neighborhood. Leisurely but still moving!
- Cook healthy meals. Standing in the kitchen moving around is better than driving through the drive-thru anyday!
- Walk around the house or outside while chatting on the phone with a friend.
To end my post for the day, let me share with you a BOMB protein smoothie I created today. I’ll call it a Mocha Green Machine Protein Smoothie. (I totally just made that up, but it works!) I was feeling something cold and refreshing after mowing the lawn, and I also needed a little caffeine boost to get me through the afternoon since I didn’t sleep great last night. So I created this delicious beauty. And don’t let the spinach fool you! You can’t even taste it, I promise! It’s an easy way to get in your greens. YUM!
Mocha Green Machine Protein Smoothie
1 small frozen banana
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3/4 to 1 cup cold coffee
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
1-2 cups spinach
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Add sweetener of choice (if desired)
1 cup ice cubes
Directions: Dump all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Drink up! Makes 1 medium/large serving.
- What are some ideas you have to get yourself moving during the day other than your normal workout?
- Do you have any favorite smoothie recipes?