This morning my alarm clock went off (way too early) so I could get up for my morning run. As I reached over to hit the snooze button, I think I said “OW” about twenty times. Apparently the BodyPump Style Workout I did yesterday did some work! I actually love the feeling of being sore. It makes me feel accomplished, like I worked hard, like I did something good for my body. However, I don’t always love the feeling first thing in the morning when I wake up and I’m as stiff as a board. Regardless, I got out of bed, about ten times slower than I usually do, and
started tried to get moving. I brushed my teeth, put my contacts in, fed the dogs, etc. and started to feel a little less stiff as I started moving. The thought of running was not exactly exciting to me at that point, but I knew I needed to do it. I knew I needed to do it especially because I was sore.
So many people will skip their workout or take a day off from exercising because they are really sore from a workout the day before, but that’s probably the worst thing you could do for yourself and your muscles. Even though you might feel really stiff at first, you’ll loosen up as you go on, and you’ll feel much better by the end of it. If you feel like you need to tone down your workout for the day since you’re so sore, that’s totally okay, but don’t skip it!
Here are some things you can do to help when you’re feeling sore:
- MOVE! Walk, jog, elliptical, bike…something, but don’t sit or do nothing. Your muscles need to stretch out and warm up, and you won’t do that by sitting.
- Stretch (after you move). Do some light cardio and then stretch. You want your muscles to be warmed up a bit before you start any sort of static stretching.
- Don’t push it too hard. Although I do say you need to move and not skip a workout, you should not overdo it. Overdoing it can result in pulled muscles. (ouch!)
So I got dressed and headed out the door with the best running partner ever. Isn’t he just so cute??
The weather was cool and crisp and clear… perfect running weather in my opinion. As we left my mind was excited when I thought about our run, but my body was just not feelin’ it this morning! My legs felt heavy, and my normal 3-mile run felt like it was twice as long. Ugh, I hate runs like that! I was sure glad when we finished. We got through it though, and it did feel quite good to feel accomplished even though the whole run was no fun. I guess we all have those “no fun run days” though, right? ;) I came home to a nice big glass of ice water and some peanut butter and sliced banana on wheat toast (one of the most perfect combos of foods if you ask me!). Now I’m off to tackle the day!
Questions of the Morning:
- Do you ever have days when you’re just not feelin’ it? How do you deal with it?
- What do you do to help your muscles recover when they are sore?